DOREEN BROWN, OWNER AND DESIGNER AT SHETLAND COLLECTION TALKS TO US ABOUT WHAT WINNING A HITA MEANT FOR HER BUSINESS.
We are delighted with the positive response that our Discovering Scotland Award has generated, including new orders for our traditional and contemporary knitwear, some wonderful media and online publicity, and a lot of congratulatory messages.
The award and media coverage are very important for us, our 30 knitters around the islands and for Shetland as a beautiful and welcoming destination, and I’m sure it will help encourage others to go into quality business ventures when they see what can be achieved.
Tourism visitors are vital for our business, particularly during the summer months, and we see a lot of them on their way to or from Sumburgh airport, as our shop and workshop is close by and just off the main road.
Now, our award stands proudly in a prominent position for them all to see – right beside the now world-famous picture of our Shetland Ponies wearing their specially-kitted Fair Isle sweaters.
Doreen Brown, Designer and Owner, Shetland Collection
If you think you have what it takes to be HITA 2015 winner or know someone who passionately works towards making the tourism industry better then you can enter or nominate here www.highland-tourism-awards.co.uk
This year’s categories are –
- Most Hospitable Hotel
- Most Hospitable B&B/Guest House
- Best Holiday Accommodation
- Best Informal Eating Experience
- Best Restaurant Experience
- Friendliest Pub/Bar
- Best Event or Festival
- Best Outdoor/Adventure Experience
- Tourism Everyone’s Business (open to community tourism destination management organisations, destination marketing companies, transport operators, retail and entertainment venues)
- Best Visitor Attraction
- Best Sporting Event
- Hospitality Hero
- Innovation Award (open to small or large businesses)